FACTORY by Václav Mlynář
The Factory is a project which explores a production of a small series of one-off pieces, where the whole process of designing, production, assembly and distribution happen on one table.
The idea behind the whole concept is a combination of a simple analog production approach with 3D printing technology. The important point is that the design of the lamps is made by hand without any digital input. The final shape can be affected by the designer in a few simple steps. Firstly by choosing the number and length of brass wires and secondly by bending them all together in a simple jig. Once they are bent the computer software quickly generates 3D models of joints according to their measurements. Those joints are then printed on demand on a Formlabs 3D printer. Each Lamp is then assembled and displayed on the same table.
1. Choosing length and number of wires.
2. Banding point, which determines the final shape of the lamp.
3. Analogue measuring of the wire.
4. Typing the measurements into the computer, which automatically generate the 3D model of the joints and printer them.
5. Assembling of the final product